FYI this post is kind of a freakout/rant
I have been thinking a lot about bulling lately, I started reading Michael Vey the prisoner of cell 25 a day or two ago. It is really good so far but in it the main charactor Michael Vey is bullied. I also read a article in the news a few weeks ago about how special needs children who do not meet an unspoken standerd of normalcy don't have friends, especially when they reach the teen years. This article was really hard for me to deal with at the time. I remember looking at Tommy thinking and hoping that when he grew up he would have friends, that he would not be bullied. I know here in Idaho we have good kids and I hope kids are nicer and we have less incidences of bulling, but it still freaks me out.
I was never bullied, I was one of the invisible kids that just did her own thing and that every one thought was smart (I guess I looked smart) but I was never popular and I remember my bigest wish was that I could have one best friend or even one good friend. I had good school friends but that was about it.
Its provably a lot of over abundant pregnancy hormone but I am just so worried that kids will pick on my baby, that when she grows up she will get bullied, and that I wont know or be able to do anything about it. Or even worse, that she will pick on others or just wont be friends to kids who really need a friend.
Its not like I can protect her from life, you know what I mean, but ill be darned if I let any one pick on my baby!
I guess all I can do is try and teach her to be kind and to notice the lone kid standing out, and to try and bild a open and honest relationship with her. (sigh) I havent even had Julie yet and I have her in elementary school. 8)
Sorry if this seems like im freaking out, I just needed to vent a little.
I just love my baby girl so much already and feel like a momma bear who knows her cub is in danger but dosen't have teeth or claws when it comes to things like this.
I think you are being totally normal Nita. I freak out about my kids never getting asked out on a date and being bullied and they aren't even close to being in school yet. The thing I can say is, all we can do is be loving parents and if our kids do get bullied they will know how to handle it because they will know that they are loved. We just need to develop good relationships with our kids so they have the confidence in talking to us. <---That's another thing I worry about, how to balance the parent/friend relationship. Anyway, we will do great if we just listen to the spirit and try the best we can.
ReplyDelete